Pick ONE resource that may be renewable AND nonrenewable depending on its rate of use. Describe 3 ways in which your resource can be managed better to ensure their renewability. Give one example of a situation when this resource has been overused. Your essay should be at least 2 paragraphs long. Remember to write in complete sentences, using appropriate grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Be sure to cite any sources that you use.
here is the material.
Humans have had a huge environmental impact, from accidents and spills to just the way we live our lives. We are constantly changing the planet and its ability to sustain life. Many people believe that unless we make changes, Earth is heading towards a future where it is unable to sustain life.
Waste and oil spills can impact the environment long past the time the event has moved out of the news. It is impossible to get all of the spilled material up and some soaks into the ground and water. Plants can take toxins into themselves that then get passed to animals that eat the plants.
Impact of the Human Lifestyle
- carbon dioxide, CO2 – produced by the burning of fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas
- methane, CH4 – emitted during the transport and production of coal, oil, and natural gas. Also produced by livestock and the decay of organic waste in landfills.
- nitrous oxide, N2O – produced by various activities, including the combustion of fossil fuels
- fluorinated gases – emitted during various industrial activities, these gases are frequently used in place of ozone depleting CFCs
Click HERE to watch a video about amounts of carbon emitted into the atmosphere in the US.
Click here to join Tim & Moby at BrainPop© as they explore humans and the environment.
1) Click “Play Movie” to begin the movie. You can click “full screen movie”to watch the movie in a larger screen.
2) Check out the “Q&A” to review important ideas about humans and the environment.
3) Want to learn some more? Go to “FYI” to learn cool facts about humans and the environment.
4) How well do you understand humans and the environment? Take the “Review Quiz” to find out. This is not an assessment – just practice! Your score is not recorded.
5) Close the window and return here to learn more!