- Discuss the following situation from everyday life in which learning (i.e., a relatively permanent change in behavior) is desirable.
- Biggs Boss wants his employees to arrive on time.
Prepare a plan utilizing operant conditioning principles to change the behavior of the targeted individual(s), clearly identifying and justifying suitable reinforcers or punishers to attain your desired outcome.
- Example: If I want my son to eat his vegetables (i.e., increase a desired behavior), I could do several things.
- If he eats his vegetables, I could apply a positive reinforcer by adding something he does like, such as screen time; alternatively, I could apply a negative reinforcer by taking away something he does not like, such as one of his weekly chores.
- If he does not eat his vegetables, I could apply a positive punisher by adding something he does not like, such as a new weekly chore; alternatively, I could apply a negative punisher by taking away something he does like, such as screen time.
- After you have shared your plan, discuss at least three factors that might impact the success of your plan, including social and cultural considerations.
- Describe at least one ethical consideration as relevant to operant conditioning.
- Discussion should be at least 400 words.