Use the book, Criminology:The Core, Author Larry J. Siegel 6th Edition chapter 12 & 13
Choose one question from either chapter.
reference the book in your answer, not just at the end as a reference
- Discuss the impact of spending time in prison for burglars. Is there a deterrent or learning effect? Explain your answer.
- Read about “White Collar Crime” on pages 387 – 391in the text. Discuss what exactly a Ponzi scheme or similar schemes. Do you believe the punishments are normally fair? Why or why not?
- In reading about influential peddling of all types, address the Pennsylvania judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan on page 391. Discuss how they and others used their position to make money. Was their punishment adequate? How should the victims be compensated?
- Discuss whether it is ethical to imprison non-dangerous white-collar criminals to set an example, or should they merely suffer financial penalties? What is the purpose of putting something like Martha Stewart in prison for a white-collar offense? Is she a danger to society? As an related aside, did this help or hurt her professional life?
- What makes pedophilia an especially heinous crime? What punishment is appropriate for its perpetrators? What should be done to aid its victims?
- Read about “The International Sex Trade” in the text (pg. 422 – 423). Discuss how you would slow or end the sex trade. Discuss whether men who hire prostitutes should be punished severely in order to deter them from getting involved in the exploitation of these vulnerable young women.
- Watch the video “Should Prostitution Be Legal” at Attorney Seema Lyer of MSNBC discusses prostitution with Moonlite Bunny Ranch brothel owner Dennis Hoff. Discuss the pros and cons of legalizing prostitution. If you had a choice, would you legalize prostitution? Explain why.
- Discuss whether pornography reduces the likelihood that women are raped. Does prostitution reduce rape? Or could it be the opposite? Do pornography and prostitution actually increase incidents of rape?