This assignment asks you to analyze an article from a Houston newspaper by A. Kuchment that reviews recent research on the increase in the number of earthquakes in Texas. This increase has apparently been linked to the increased use of fracking techniques. The US Geologic Survey has also published information on this issue. Learn more from the following reading and viewing opportunities before you begin the assignment.
Participating in this activity will enable you to demonstrate mastery of Module Level Outcome 2.
Carefully read the news article:
- Kuchment, A. (2016, May 21). Fracking activities caused majority of recent Texas quakes (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Standard Times.
- Take notes and pay special attention to the language used in the news article.
Next, for your comparison to the news article, your information from the “scientific community”:
- View: Oklahoma Earthquakes and the Rise in Fracking (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [Video, 10:12 mins]
- Read: US Geologic Survey Myths and Misconceptions about Fracking and Earthquakes (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Review the Abstract (on page 1) and Discussion and Conclusions (on pp. 13-15) from: Frohlich, C., DeShon, H., Stump, B., Hayward, C., Hornbach, M., & Walter, J. I. (2016). A historical review of induced earthquakes in Texas (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Seismological Research Letters, 87(4).
Finally, submit the following:
- Complete the Science Tool Kit attached here [DOCX, File size 28.4 KB] for your analysis of the news article by Kuchment