Write a 3 page analysis that assesses your professional development needs as a nurse leader.
Note: The assessments in this course build upon each other, so you are strongly encouraged to complete them in sequence.
For professional nurse-leaders, effective communication skills are essential for interprofessional teamwork and collaboration. Kelly and Tazbir (2014) emphasize the importance of this interaction:
Interprofessional teamwork and collaboration among staff nurses and other disciplines in the health care setting are so critical to optimizing patient care safety and outcomes that they are a priority for most health care administrators, directors, and managers (p. 140).
Successful leadership strategies are based on a leader’s strengths, the situation, the environment, and the stakeholders involved. Developing a plan for professional development is integral in developing leadership and management skills.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Integrate key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts into collaborative practice situations.
- Differentiate between leadership and management.
- Explain key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts that facilitate collaboration and support interprofessional teams.
- Describe a personal leadership and communication style.
- Identify skills or areas for future professional development.