Prior to engaging in this forum, read and reflect on required and/or recommended course content for weeks 4-7. (Chapters 4 – 6 content, articles and videos)
Topic A: Leadership Theories
1) Contingent vs. Traits: How much do you believe contingent factors impact leaders and their achievements? Can you think of recent political or business related situations in which the leader in question did not have great leadership qualities yet was put in a situation where he/she excelled? Or someone you believe had good leadership qualities but they were put in a situation where they could prove their leadership potential? Give examples.
2) Normative Leadership: Discuss normative leadership model and explain if it could be applied in business organizations? (Illustrate your answers with examples).
Topic B: Leadership Influencing considerations: Power, Politics, Networking and Negotiation
1) Power: Is use of power by mangers good or bad for the organization? As an organizational leader where would you draw the line to use power to meet your objectives within the organization? (Give examples).
2) Politics and Networking: Wherever humans interact there will be politics, organizations are no exceptions. If this is the case, how would you as an organizational leader mitigate the negative impact of politics? Networking could be a tool for politicking or creating positive support systems. What could be done to encourage a positive use of networking in an organizational setting? (Illustrate with examples).
Topic C: Communication, Coaching and Conflict Skills
1) Communication: Effective Communication includes good listening skills, ability to write clearly, and providing timely feedback. Please share your thoughts on how you can measure (using a current day workplace situation) communications effectiveness of a Leader.
2) Psychological contract and conflict resolution: Discuss the importance of psychological contract in workplace conflict. Which conflict management style do you believe is most effective and why? (Illustrate with examples).
Topic D: Leader-Follower Relations
1) Leaders and in-groups: Is it acceptable for leaders to develop personal friendships within their subordinates. If so, how do you think a leader must do to dispel the feeling among all other subordinates that there is no favoritism in the workplace?
2) Delegation of Power: As a leader do you believe that power should be delegated? If so, then on what bases would you delegate power to your followers? Give examples?