In this assignment, identify the country you intend to investigate. Identify several possible topics for your paper based on what you have learned so far. Research the news to discover a current issue that needs to be negotiated with that country or in that country. The negotiation can be a business contract or other type of contract negotiation.
The purpose of this exercise is to become knowledgeable about how people in different cultures and countries negotiate as well as why they seem to prefer a particular style.
The answers to the why question can help avoid difficulty in negotiation or, if it occurs, can help you manage your way out of that trouble. You will choose one country for this research project – any country, other than the US, is allowed.
In particular, please work to find at least three important cultural values that are said to characterize your country. Try to find some specific behaviors that follow from these values—behaviors you could observe if you visited that country. These values and behaviors may drive some of the negotiation tactics used by business people in your assigned culture. Try to list as many of these as you can while you tie them to underlying cultural values.
Several websites might be useful in your research. Consider the following:
1. Global Negotiator (www.globalnegotiator.com). This is a useful site for those interested in studying cross-cultural negotiation. It reviews more than 50 countries and provides specific information regarding country characteristics and values that might impact negotiation.
2. Program on Negotiation (https://www.pon.harvard.edu/) a consortium program of Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Tufts University and serves as an interdisciplinary research center dedicated to developing the theory and practice of negotiation and dispute resolution in a range of public and private settings.
3. U.S. Department of State Country Background Notes (www.state.gov). Like most pages maintained by the Department of State, this one is informative and well organized and can provide a good bit of useful background information for this assignment.
4. The Economist Country Profiles (www.economist.com/countries). The Economist magazine is well known, but its Intelligence Unit—while less well known—is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in international business.
5. CIA World Factbook (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook). This is a complete and detailed source of information about all countries on the globe—useful for this exercise and others as well.
You will prepare a 3-4 page essay on your chosen country. Write a 3-4 page essay in APA format (not including the cover page and reference page). Please click here to view the criteria by which you will be assessed for the achievement of the CLO for this unit. Please use the APA Template provided in course resources to complete your assignment. Note that you must conduct research in the LIRN and you must locate peer-reviewed articles. In addition to including cultural values and behaviors, you should include at least five other topics of interest covered in this classroom. Explain how you think those values, behaviors, and characteristics would affect a contract negotiation. Be sure that you use appropriate headings in your essay and include at least four references with in-text citations.