Throughout this module, we have examined how training and development programs can be created to improve performance. As we have discussed, an organization’s mission and strategy, along with other factors, can influence how HR professionals approach development.
For this week’s assignment, using the organization you currently work for, a previous organization, or an organization you are familiar with, do the following:
- Identify and briefly summarize the organization’s mission, values, culture, and strategic direction.
- Analyze how the mission, vision, and strategy influences the type and frequency of training within an organization. For instance, if your organization is retail oriented and focused on millennial fashion, assess how training should be conducted.
- Develop two specific training strategies that would be effective in the organization and industry that you identified. Explain the benefits of these strategies and how these strategies are aligned with the organization’s mission, vision, values, and culture.
- Write a 7 page paper, not including the title and reference pages, which are required.
- Your paper must be properly cited and formatted according to APA format.
- Include a formal references page. This is an individual paper; however, you should reflect on our discussion forums and incorporate ideas from there, as appropriate.
- You must support your analysis with at least 4-5scholarly references, and can include resources from this course.
- For this assignment, a credible source is defined as:
- A scholarly or peer-reviewed journal article.
- A government-based website or publication.
- A trade or industry journal article, publication, or website, including those from trade organizations such as SHRM.org and TD.org
Fareed, M., Mohd Isa, M. F., & Wan Mohd, W. S. (2017). HR professionals’ effectiveness, organizational culture and high performance work system link: Evidence from Pakistan. International Review of Management and Marketing, 7(1), 85-94.
Gostick, A., & Elton, C. (2009). The carrot principle: How the best managers use recognition to engage their people, retain talent, and accelerate performance. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
Read pages 94-124.
Ketter, P. (2006). Training versus development. T+D, 60(5), 78.
George, R.A., Siti-Nabiha, A.K., Jalaludin, D., & Abdalla, Y.A. (2016). Barriers to an enablers of sustainability integration in the performance management systems of an oil and gas company. Journal of Cleaner Production, 136, 197-212.
Negoita, O.D. (21018). The use of performance management systems. FAIMA Business and Management Journal, 6(2), 17-23.
Chamorro-Premuzic, T., & Bersin, J. (2018). 4 ways to create a learning culture on your team. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2018/07/4-ways-to-create-a-learning-culture-on-your-team
Nabong, T. A. (2015). Creating a learning culture for the improvement of your organization. Training Industry. Retrieved from https://trainingindustry.com/articles/strategy-alignment-and-planning/creating-a-learning-culture-for-the-improvement-of-your-organization/?utm_content=cpdc