Grading Finkelstein’s With No Direction Home
Imagine that students all over the country are using the same criteria to grade books by applied anthropologists. Each book is given a letter grade (A B C D or F), carefully based on a set of criteria. Your class has been asked to grade Finkelstein’s book With No Direction Home.
Please base on the book to write the paper.
Marni Finkelstein- With No Direction Home: Homeless Youth on the Road and in the Streets
The criteria for this book-grading are given below. Please write a 4 pages paper, and in your paper, tell the grade the Finkelstein book should get, and briefly discuss the following criteria that you considered in giving that grade. Your reply could be a numbered list of the criteria, each briefly discussed as relevant to the book and answer those questions. NEED CITIATON.
1. EMIC Analysis: How well did the book represents the first-hand experiences, meanings, viewpoints, and/or frameworks of understanding among the cultural participants, in this case, street kids?
2. ETIC Analysis: How well did the book apply constructs of anthropology to achieve understanding of street kids from an analytical, outsider’s application of conceptual explanation?
3. Cultural gaps: How well did the book succeed at communicating an understanding of street kids to someone not from their cultural group?
4. Anthropological methods: How did this book use ethnographic methods, such as and were these methods able to provide understandings not available from other forms of research, such as surveys or demographics? Also, did the research approach its subject in a holistic way?
5. Pragmatic use: If you were an official with responsibility to serve street kids, would you find the book useful in guiding or shaping your decisions?