For Example, Hyp 1 Reliousity (as measured by the frequency of attendance at church) will be positively correlated with more conservative political viewpoints as measured by (anti-abortion beliefs, concealed gun permits, belief in the after life, etc.) Another version would be – The higher the attendance at church on a monthly basis – the more likely subjects will identify with conservative politics. (GSS Question: I align myself with very conservative, moderately conservative, moderatately liberal or very liberals politics). Just look up the variables in your GSS data base.
Your exercise should follow these STEPS. It should consist of:
1. A brief paragraph or two about the GSS. What is it, what does it do, why is it important for social research, how will you use it?
2. Your theory, three hypotheses with accompanying rationales.
3. Your variables, descriptions with a table.
4. Your original or first-order findings with a chart or table.
5. Your control variable and results (charts or tables).
6. Conclusions about what you find and how your control variable affected the results.