1. What is monetary policy?
2. Suppose the Fed purchases $500 million in government securities from a primary dealer. What will happen to the level of legal reserves in the banking system and by how much will they change?
3. How would you describe the size distribution of American banks and the concentration of industry assets in the U.S.?
4. What is a bank holding company?
5. What did the Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking Act do? Why was it passed into law?
6. Why is the creation (chartering) of new banks closely regulated? What about nonbank financial firms?
7. Who charters new banks in the U.S.?
8. What are the advantages of having a national bank charter? A state bank charter?