- Explain whether you prefer the representation of the Last Supper by Tintoretto, Veronese, or Leonardo da Vinci. Identify 2 key differences between the Mannerist and Renaissance artistic styles. When it comes to art, which is the most important: artistic freedom, right of the patron, or appropriate subject matter. Provide a rationale for your response.
Counter-Reform and Mannerism
- Chapter 20 (pp. 665-681), Mannerist art; (see also p. 591 in Chapter 17); review Week 10 Music folder
- Tintoretto’s Last Supper at http://www.wga.hu/html_m/t/tintoret/5_1580s/3lastsup.html (click on the image to enlarge); also at Fig. 20.9 on p. 674
- Tintoretto’s Last Supper, video, at http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/jacopo-tintorettos-last-supper.html
- Chapter 14 (p. 491), Leonardo’s Last Supper (Fig. 14.25)
- Leonardo’s Last Supper at http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/LeonardoLastSupper.htm
- Chapter 20 (pp. 678-680 with Fig. 20.16), “Last Supper” painting and Inquisition trial of the artist Veronese
- Trial of Veronese at http://members.efn.org/~acd/Veronese.html
- If Link has moved or expired, please continue your own research online.
- Please avoid using forbidden websites such as Course Hero, Cheggs, Wikipedia, etc., or any websites that have the answers “prepared” or “for sale.” Also please avoid posting content that is missing in-text citations and references. Both are examples of plagiarism. Your post or paper will be “Flagged” by Black Board.
Template for Week 10 Discussion: Please fill in each section with your summary of your research using your own words. Minimum of 150 Words
Hello awesome classmates and Dr. C here is my main discussion post for Week 10…
This part is easy:
Let’s say I am going to give you the painting of your choice. Explain if you would like a painting of the Last Supper by _____________ and why?
- Tintoretto, worth 14.25 Million Dollars
- Veronese, worth 14.35 Million Dollars
- Leonardo da Vinci. worth 14.5 Million Dollars
Oh I can handle this part too:
Identify 2 key differences between the Mannerist and Renaissance artistic styles.
Veronese and the Inquisition court considered three things:
- What is Artistic Freedom? Please define.
- What is the Right of the Patron? Please define.
- What is Appropriate subject Matter? Please define
Which do you see as the most important today and why? Give a modern day example.
Template: Responding to a Classmate
Hello (Name of Classmate), Great Post! I really enjoyed reading your post. One of the things I find interesting is:
The reason it is of interest is: (Minimum of 2 sentences)
Why do you think….? (ask your classmate a question pertaining to the post)
(Your first name/name you want to be called)