SOC 450 Discussions Questions
1. No one knows what the world’s population will be in the future, but the United Nations gives three projections: high, medium, and low. Explain how each of these projections would affect the global community. Provide specific examples.
2. No one knows what the world’s population will be in the future, but the United Nations gives three projections: high, medium, and low. Explain how each of these projections would affect the global community. Provide specific examples.
3. The economies and populations of the developing world are affected significantly when oil prices rise. Why do the economies of countries in places such as the Global South react to oil prices so severely compared to developed countries like the United States?
4. Countries that claim the most access to the planet’s resources continue to grow in population and economy at an increasing pace. This growth places a strain on the availability of non-renewable resources. What responsibility do these countries have in ensuring the rest of the world has fair access to these resources?
5. One of the intended outcomes of the Millennium Development Goals was to “eradicate extreme poverty and hunger” (1) in the world. How successful has the achievement of this outcome been to its mission to “meet the needs of the world’s poorest” (1)?
1. United Nations. 2019. We Can End Poverty. http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals\
6. This week you learned that there is, in fact, enough food available to feed everyone in entire world every day. However, this is not happening for various reasons. Look at the community you live in. If food became inaccessible to your community, how would that affect your day-to-day life and that of your community?
7. Consider how technology has evolved in your lifetime. These changes may impact how we work to find solutions to the global threats discussed so far. If we could remove the current boundaries of technology and look into the future, how would you use technology to resolve one of these global threats?
8. The benefits of technology to humans are almost too numerous to list. As with anything, there are downsides to advancement. Describe a misuse of technology that you have observed within the global community. Provide examples.
9. This week you watched three videos, each describing a type of pollution. Choose one of these three pollution types and explain two ways an individual person can make meaningful changes to prevent or alleviate it.