By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Examine how theory and sociological concepts apply to everyday life.
- Identify sociological concepts that affect one’s own field of study.
- Competency 2: Evaluate the basic tools of sociological inquiry.
- Identify resources to support project analysis from a sociological perspective.
- Competency 4: Analyze the influence of culture and socialization on both the individual and society.
- Summarize the relevancy of concepts included in project sections.
- Competency 6: Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills for effectively presenting sociological concepts, ideas, and analyses.
- Write in a professional style using APA 6th edition referencing and format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
In this assignment, you will provide an outline for your course project. The outline should identify concepts you will be using to analyze, provide a brief summary of why each concept may be relevant, and identify some resources that you intend to use.
The purpose of the outline is to make sure that you are actively thinking about and working on your final project. It may be helpful, as we go through each unit, to determine which concepts in that unit you feel are relevant to your Sociology of Me project and begin your analysis at that time. Complete the following:
Step 1: Section Outline
Outline what you plan to discuss in each section (including identifying concepts you will use). The sections are outlined below and list potential concepts that could be used.
- Culture and Socialization: Examine the impact culture and socialization has had on your life.
- Socialization, agents of socialization, culture, culture, values, language, norms, subculture, counterculture, ethnocentrism, and cultural relativism.
- Social Structure and Groups: Discuss the impact social structure and groups have had on your life.
- Social structure, hierarchy, power, bureaucracy, role, status, primary groups, secondary groups, and group think.
- Education: Discuss how a sociologist would explain your experience with education.
- Hidden curriculum, tracking, social stratification, and stereotypes.
- Professional field: Discuss the main sociological issues that affect your field of study.
- All concepts from other sections are relevant.
- Technology and Media: Analyze the role technology and media in your everyday life.
- Media, digital divide, framing, and social change.
Step 2: Identify Preliminary Supporting Resources
Your sociological analysis of yourself should be supported by credible, scholarly sources, such as those from academic journals. You should identify at least one scholarly source for each section above. Provide a brief summary of each source identified. Use appropriate citations and include a list of your resources in APA format.
When complete, submit your outline in the assignment area.