Although they were seeking religious freedom, the Puritan leaders were not a tolerant people. They might best be described as religious bigots.
In order to prepare for this discussion forum:
- Review and identify the relevant content in the textbook Chapters 2 and 4 that you will use to support your discussion.
Discuss only ONE of the following questions.
- Explain if you agree or disagree with the statement, “…the Puritan leaders were not a tolerant people. They might best be described as religious bigots.” Make sure you support your argument with concrete examples.
- Although New England Puritans were devout reformers, they persecuted the Quakers. Discuss why, and how Quaker beliefs and customs challenged traditional English society.
- Both religious and economic factors made it easier for the French than the English to coexist with Indian cultures. Discuss why you agree or disagree with the statement.
In order to earn the full credit points for this assignment, students must discuss at least one question, and respond to a fellow student’s postings:
- Directly and completely to the question that you selected. Clearly and accurately explain your answer based on factual information contained in the readings. Make sure that all statements are supported with facts from the readings (80 points).
- Students must respond to at least one fellow student’s posting and discuss the reason(s) for their agreement or disagreement, with the arguments that are presented. You must address specific points, and support your response with facts from the readings and other sources. (20 points).
- Students can choose to respond to any posting, they do have to respond to a posting that discusses the question they addressed.
Reminder: Please make sure to comply with all Netiquette Guidelines listed in the Getting Started module.