Combine the answers from the worksheet into a 350- to 700-word statement defining your complex identity.
Submit your worksheet to the Assignment Files tab.
Answer the following questions about your family’s background (all that you know or can find out).
• When did your family(ies) come to the U.S.?
• Where did your family(ies) come from?
• Do you trace your family heritage to more than one country outside the U.S.? Which countries?
• What language(s) did your relatives speak?
• Do you or any of your relatives speak a non-English language? Which language(s)?
• Were you or any of your family adopted? How has this impacted your ability to know your family’s history?
• To which race(s) or ethnic group(s) do your ancestors belong?
• How do you define your racial/ethnic identity?
• Are you a first-generation American?
If you have any Native American heritage please answer the three questions below:
• Do you have some Native American heritage (or Amerindian heritage from other countries in the Americas)? From which tribe(s) is this heritage? Be as specific as possible.
• Are you a formal member of the tribe(s)?
• Do you consider your identity Native American? If so, to which tribe(s) do you belong?
Combine these answers into a statement (350 to 700 words) defining your complex identity.