Legal professionals widely agree that there is no single “right” path to take in conducting legal research. As such, each paralegal must devise his or her own strategy. Imagine that your supervising attorney has asked you write a report detailing your strategy for legal research.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Create a detailed three (3) step system for completing the legal research process.
- Explain the manner in which each step in the process would ensure thorough research in your legal assignments. Justify your response.
- Appropriately incorporate at least two (2) quality sources. A quality source can be either popular, such as a news article, or scholarly, such as peer reviewed works. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as quality resources. Visit the Library at http://research.strayer.edu to conduct research.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the types of law libraries, their uses, and sources of law in the U.S.
- Describe the publication and codification of statutory law, and the publication of case laws and judicial opinions.
- Research information using primary and secondary sources.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in legal research and writing.
- Write clearly and concisely about legal research and writing using proper writing mechanics.